Friday, September 9, 2011

Rene Magritte - Surrealism

I love Surrealism (notice Dali in the background . . .) It's so weird and fun to look at/admire/analyze/whatever you like to do with art. Rene Magritte is a surrealist artist whose works really stand out to me; his paintings capture everyday scenes and objects, but are given dreamlike qualities. Here are a couple of my favorites; a lot of them are probably familiar to you already:


        Golconde, 1953




       Presence of Mind, 1960


       The Cut-Glass Bath, 1946
This one actually reminds me of Dali's flaming Giraffe. Giraffes are just so cool . . .



        The Lovers, 1928

 This last painting is probably one you've seen before.

I wish I could meet Magritte in person- he was probably quite a character.

1 comment:

  1. I quite enjoy Magritte. My Intro to Film TA had an amazing shirt on a couple weeks ago. It was a play on the "This Is Not a Pipe" (I have no idea what it is in French, but I know it was originally in French), except it was a Mario pipe. It made me quite happy.

    ReplyDelete